Abstraction in this sense is treating other people as if they were ideas or intentions. Abstraction is often joined with a general intent to improve things and ideas of equality. However, the altruism is actually weakened by the lack of contact. Abstraction is most prevalent in liberal political thought.
- Consistency is always expected, and often falsely projected onto the other, because ideas, after all, are meant to be consistent.
- Little real feeling develops, including like and dislike. In its place are approval and disapproval.
- Even a complicated concept of a person will be a great over-simplification of a real person
- Action is limited
- Idealization is common, but only of things that are not really well-known
- Fellowship is attempted based on like ideas or intentions
- Empathy is offered but little real support or warmth.
- Plays out similarly in close and distant relationships. Groups formed splinter or disintegrate easily, because of inevitable differences. in ideas in the face of little feeling of loyalty.
- Originates from the outer or surface layer.